Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Elder Kaden Barlow - "Strong men are like kites, they raise up higher when the opposing wind is stronger."

 
Elder Barlow and Elder Cortez
 
 
Hey Family!! Que lo que hay?
I have finally recovered from the Chikungunya virus. My rash went away completely yesterday and everything is just peachy!
But first off, I just want to tell you guys how much I miss my old area! I miss my comp and the people so much. When I saw Elder Cardoso, Granados, and Jimenez at Parque del Este today, I about died! I miss living in that house it was so much fun. And I miss the members and investigators too!! This area is definitely more of a trial or test for me. There is so much work that has to be done and I seriously feel like I’m starting all over. But as the talk you sent me says, strong men are like kites, they raise up higher when the opposing wind is stronger.
Anyway attending church here was super weird—super small. They asked me to give a talk about 15 minutes before, so I did. It was my first talk in the mission and it actually was pretty good if I do say so myself. First time ever just winging it and pulled a 12 minute talk out of my sleeve. Also I got to bless the sacrament for the first time in the mission so that was really cool too.
This area is kinda dead right now though. In weekly planning going through the list of investigators... well, wait... there were only three. Not sure if that counts as a list. I began wondering what Elder Cortes and his old comp used to do... THREE INVESTIGATORS... sigh... Well, looks like we will be contacting a lot… hopefully we can find some people to teach here. The members here that actually are active seem pretty firm, and it will be cool, although different to serve in a branch. We went on splits yesterday and I went with the Elders Quorum president. I went to a reference with him and now we have two new investigators so I’m super excited for that... we will see what happens with them. Their names are Juan and Jenny, an old married couple. Hopefully they progress. 
Ok, day three with my comp and he locks us out of the house... I admit at this point I got a little frustrated... sick with Chikungunya, and he locks us out of the house. We call the Branch Pres. who shows up with a sledge hammer and crow bar and with one good hit takes the lock right off the bars... that’s when I decided it was time that we buy a better lock. One that will actually keep us safe...
As for my companion I get along pretty well with him. He likes to talk... a ton!! More than Mom, Grandma, or any other girl I know... I almost have to fight to say anything in a lesson... but now that I have complained, he is a great guy and seems to have lots of animo to work. We will see what happens this week.
I was at a church in an area bordering my new area and they had a piano like the ones they have in the churches back at home—the electric upright ones, and it had a pedal!!! How cool!!!!! I loved playing! It sounded awesome! It made me want to play on a baby grand... I miss pianos. One day....
Kaden

No comments:

Post a Comment