Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Elder Almen Thorpe - March 17, 2014: How ya doin?

Hello! Family! 

Dad, it is good to hear that you are still teaching someone even though you are out of your mission! I know now what it is truly like to be in your shoes when you went on your mission and may I say...I'M HAVING A BLAST! Saving souls every day, talking to random people every day, making new friends, and preaching about the gospel of Jesus Christ every day, is the life of a missionary.


I can say that the dream that Megan's friend was no accident, Heavenly Father reaches out in many ways. It could be from missionaries, church members, through the Holy Ghost and in our dreams. He always has a way of reaching out to every single one of us, we just need to grab that feeling or dream and act on that feeling. It is no accident that her friend had felt like that, that he is mad at his family in his dream and that he is wanting to stand up for Megan. I will keep Megan's friend in my prayers and hope for him to find the the truth for himself.


The Holy Ghost can testify of all things, the Holy Ghost is how we can know for ourselves when we truly feel his divine love for all of us. There's a scripture in Galatians that talks about the spirit, (Galatians 5:22-23), its says " but the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law". Everything that we feel, act, and do is from the spirit. I hope all goes well and that Megan's friend will someday want to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints and be part of this growing family. As missionaries and members we don't judge or force people into doing something they don't want to do because as a disciple of Jesus Christ we invite others to come unto Him and by talking to all the people we see, they will get to that point, that they want to open up to us and come unto Christ. 

This week we had a special training meeting for the zone. President Lekias was talking to us about work and when we work we forget ourselves in the work and rely on that spiritual help, which helps us to endure to the end. Everything that we do is all about WORK! The reason I emphasize work is because when we put forth the work for Heavenly Father, He will bless us.


There's a quote that President Monson said " life is full of difficulties, some minor and others of a more serious nature. There seems to be an unending supply of challenges for one and all. Our problem is that we often expect instantaneous solutions to such challenges, forgetting that frequently the heavenly virtue of patience is required". This is what I try to use every day while being out on my mission. Just like the sons of Mosiah having that desire to go out and preach the gospel to the Lamanites,  their brothers. In (Alma 26) it describes them going to their brothers with full knowledge of knowing what might happen to them when they do go. Even though they were spit upon, stoned, slapped in the face, and thrown out of many places, they still had that desire of love for their brothers. While this all happened to them they practiced their patience and faith in their Father to help them out get out of bondage and reach out to their bothers. In reward, thousands of Lamanites were converted and awakened from the abyss of darkness that blinded them from the light of God. Just like the sons of Mosiah we need to practice our patience in the Lord and our faith in Him. The time may be long and hard but he will be there to help us solve our problems and bring those who have been blinded of the world unto Him. I have seen that happen on my mission, a lot of miracles have happened when my companion and I practiced our patience and faith in Heavenly Father and have also seen the bad tragedies that happen when we loose focus, and get off track. We need to focus and not just say that is good enough for me, or I'm good were I am, because when we don't work or have patience, and we don't use our faith, we seem to go back into the darkness of the worldly actions. When we stay on track and ignore all the temptations of the worldly events, just like the sons of Mosiah, we can help our brothers and sister return to our Heavenly Father. 

It is so good to hear from all of you, thank you mom for the scriptures and your favorite hymns. My favorite songs would have to be "Did you think to pray?", "Have I done any good in the world today?" and "I need thee every hour". Those are the main three songs that I sing while walking and riding my bike everywhere. I'm doing very well and having fun, time is flying a little too fast and I'm putting myself in the work. That is my happiness, when I'm lost in missionary work. Giving gratitude for everything that I have because the Lord is the one working on me and through me, everything he is doing for me and His children is because of His love.


I hope you all have a safe week, the month of April is coming and the Elders and I will be playing a couple of tricks..its a good thing I have green to wear. I won't be getting pinched a lot. 

Love you all miss you every single day! have a wonderful week! tell we meet again! 
Elder Thorpe 

No comments:

Post a Comment