Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Elder Zach Taylor - December 17, 2013

This week has been really good for me. Well, I guess all of them are, but this one in particular. We were teaching a woman named Maria, who was interested in the church for a time, but this week told us she won´t switch her religion because she believes that you don´t have to switch religion to better your life. Which is true. She said if I dedicate myself to the Catholic church, I can improve my life just as much as if I dedicated my life to the Mormon church. And then the thing that they always say: we ourselves are the church. Really I had never seen it from that perspective before, and it put a lot of doubt into my mind about if a true church is really necessary. If I can better my life by dedicating my life to any church, what importance does it have for me to go the the church of the ¨Mormons¨?
I was answered in part that night, when we taught Sally that plan of salvation. I realized that really, any church can improve that quality of life of people. But this isn´t just about this life. There really is a necessity for a church, or a place in which you can go to learn all the correct doctrine, and recieve all the correct ordinances from people who hold the correct authority. That is why we have a true church. The church doesn´t save the people, but the correct principles and correct authority will, and that can only be found within the walls of our buildings.
Besides that, our investigator Sally has been progressing a lot. She understands everything well, and her husband Jorge helps a TON in answering her questions. The bishop announced their marriage and her baptisim in church yesterday, so I¨m more and more confident that she´s actually going to follow through! I really have trust issues with these Paraguayans.. there have been countless people that appear to have the desire to change, but won´t do anything about it, even after committing to do so. 
We found a man named Silvano this week that had a lot of questions and good conversation for us. We went to buy a watermelon and while eating, he sat down and started talking about religion with us. He was surprised at hearing about the Book of Mormon, but is excited to read it. I¨m excited to see what happens with him. 
Yesterday, we got to watch the Christmas devotional from the other week that the First Presidency did. And while watching the choir, I saw my old dentist in it singing. Pretty weird to see him on the screen.. especially being so far away. 
Well, that´s my week for ya. It´s been full of good learning experiences that have strengthened me and helped me want to become the person Heavenly Father wants me to be. Talk to you all later!
Elder Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment