Monday, November 18, 2013

Elder Almen Thorpe - Nov. 16, 2013 (written on November 11th)

Hi,
Once I made it to the MTC safely, our first day arrival we all had a lot of free time to relax and have fun after Being up all night. During that time, I got to meet my roommates. I told you last time I'd get their names down. Their names are, Elders Aumua, Faaifoaso, Seiuli, Pennington, and Escott. The first two are Samoan. Seiuli is from Wellington, NZ, Pennington flew with me and Escott is from Australia. Seiuli played rugby and is a really nice kid and funny as well.

Elder Escott, my companion has really taught me a lot. His story and background has shown me that you don't have to grow up and have an LDS family to share the gospel. How cool is it for me to be partnered in the MTC with a convert?

I've got one week left in the MTC and I'm off into the field. The MTC is just a wonderful place to be. There are a lot of Samoans, Fijians, Tahitians, Americans, Australians, New Zealanders and one from South Africa here.  The spirit here is so strong because all of them came from a different back ground but want to teach the gospel. I've already made close friends with the elders and sisters here.

This gospel has blessed my life and I want to thank each and every one of you for helping me and to not give up on me. My first day of class we learned about what our purpose of being a missionary is. Going through the lesson and talking about it really got me thinking. In our classroom we have a poster that reminds each of us every day what our true purpose is. It says, "Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." This touched me and woke me up because this whole work I'm doing right now is not about me. It's all of out the investigator that I will be teaching. As my teacher would say, "There's no more I."

A side track to all of that, we are all writing to our families. As I am writing I thought I would share this with you guys. We all just got on our knees to pray because Elder Aumua was missing his brothers a lot. He first talked to me while I was writing and I told the others we should all get down and pray with him. Even though he said his prayer in Samoan, I still felt the spirit in the circle. This all happened while I'm writing to you.

I believe so much in Heavenly Fathers plan for all of us. It's because He loves us. As we practice teaching our teacher, it is such a neat way how they show us how it is going to feel in real missionary work. Love being here in New Zealand. Love this gospel and what it really can do to change many people's hearts. Miss you all oh so much.

I just want to close this letter by saying my testimony. This church is true. Anybody with the desire can and will feel that same happiness. So many things have accrued in my life that all led to my decision to go on this mission. My heart is full of happiness and smiles.

Love you family! Miss you guys a ton. I hope everything is going well, Elder Almen Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment